Friday, June 15, 2012

Intolerable Compliment: A Book Poem


Divine molder of persons
Blessed cleanser of stains
You loved me into loveliness
And these fires under my eyes
And across my back
Are gifts you’ve given
The love that will not let me go
Great straightener of crooked lines
Holy un-breaker
Break down even the idols I’ve wrapped my heart around
And when you wound, I thank you.
For by your power and grace you weep for my weeping
Powerful scribe of my sorrows
Amazing bottler of my tears
For in and around and after pain
Blossoms unconventional joy unbridled
Too lovely for this sinner, too bright
Too often I’ve wished for love diminished
Mighty maker of magnificence
Even in this corpse
Even in my deadness
Sweet savior if you must, mend me
Refine me till the day I kneel before you
And love seen through dark glass
Made clear before my face


   I wrote this poem in response to chapter three of C.S. Lewis's The Problem of Pain. I am currently reading that book with a friend from Virginia and we are sharing our thoughts and feelings and analyzings and musings and speculations on our shared blog. You should check us out. After we finish The Problem of Pain we'll be reading A Grief Observed (also by Mr. Lewis), to get the emotional and pastoral side of suffering instead of the theological and philosophical aspects of it. 

6 comments:

  1. I actually cried.

    It started at about the part where it says, "And when you wound, I thank you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carrie. That means a lot.

      Delete
  2. I'm reading Narnia with my girlfriend :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah? Well, that's awesome! Which one are you on? I can't wait to reread those. I think you definitely get more out of them as an adult. Not that I don't think children should read them, because I definitely do.

      Delete
    2. The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe so far. Sorry for the randomness.

      Delete
    3. Not a problem at all! Glad to hear you are reading them. I'm actually going through them again as well: http://donotletthisuniverseforgetyou.blogspot.com/2012/07/great-narnia-adventure.html

      Delete

Dialogue with me...