Monday, March 12, 2012

The Daffodils

Look there is one fallen victim

Winter feared her early rising

Feared being mocked by yellow silence

This soldier has bent forward

Petals now to pavement under

Wind and rain’s relentless driving

She sees nothing, not her glory

Not her yellow, not the seasons

Her back beaten she’s forgotten

Why she’s here to light the darkness

Still her petals face the sidewalk

Still she kisses black and grey

Till the yellow turns with friction

Back to brown to fade away.

I fear she’ll never look up

Never assert her delicacy

These sentinels of spring

Grown to give us hope in darkness

This one degraded flower

Cannot stop the resurrection

And around the dead of winter

Rings a colorful return

8 comments:

  1. What an amazing piece of poetry. Have you thought about being published? You should...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have. I haven't followed through on that thought, but I have thought. :-)

      Delete
    2. haaah...I'm sure my mother would agree with you.

      Delete
  2. Nature reminding of us of our human resiliency. Beautifully haunting sweet friend. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete

Dialogue with me...