Tuesday, March 13, 2012

In Mystic Sweet

Today I heard the old man’s voice

He’s been dead for twenty-five years

Slain under prayerful parents’ hands

The light of Christ found my heart

While it was still developing space

Long before the world began

My name was written in the book

And I was birthed beneath His shadow

Beneath His spotlessness, His blood

And He drew sword and killed the old man

Killed the death that would destroy me

But still the vestigial murmurings

Deep within me, I still fight

Now I have the living spirit, now I’m able

I no longer bear the chains

But while this fallen time and fallen world

Remain, I’m fighting

And today I heard his voice

He whispered one lie

“Did God really say” he said

And I failed to reach for promises

And I failed to sing the truth out

And I failed to glorify Him

And I failed…in general

So, now I take this bread, this wine

Reminding you of reminding me

Accept His perfection, again.

Accept His punishment, again.

Forgive my failure to fight, again.

This is all I have, for now

Until the dead and dying old man

Finally taken from my shoulders

Then I’ll see with brighter colors

And I’ll feast with you that day.

8 comments:

  1. Powerful and emotional. Kudos on yet another magnificent poem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben you fricking crack me up:-)

    This was a heart felt poem, thank you!

    Wander

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, all, for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Slain under prayerful parents' hands..."

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Accept His perfection, again.
    Accept His punishment, again.
    Forgive my failure to fight, again.

    Believe me, I understand those lines so well. What an awesome poem. You have an incredibly distinct poetic voice! I've said ot before, I'll say it again- I love, love, love your work. Thanks for sharing ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God for your understanding. And thank you for your kind words.

      Delete

Dialogue with me...