Monday, January 30, 2012

The Scarf That Launched a Thousand Ships

I was all pretense and bravado
As I pushed the heavy door in
Unclosing the dim-lighting and wood-muffled brewery sounds
I saw a group of beautiful people and hesitated
Terrified you'd be among them
When I finally saw you standing casually behind the bar
Like you belonged in every moment
My heart did not race, or skip, or somersault
Rather expanded, to take in your entirety
Your myth and your manhood
And the pub grew people-less as I walked warm to you
Our mundane conversation, fell on my head
And flowed like Aaron's oil
Convincing me I was set apart and chosen
And in a way, as we complacently communicated
Shoulder-to-shoulder, I was.


A lot of my poetry does not make it to the blog, being a mite too personal. This one was almost a casualty of my caution. It's actually been on hold for almost a year.

Also, a note on housekeeping: My other blog has recently suffered a url change. It's a url that is insufferably long. Ready? http://donotletthisuniverseforgetyou.blogspot.com I know, I know! It's only a placeholder till I can find a better one.
I know not a lot of you who read this one care to read the other, and that is fine, but I do know that some people were experiencing trouble accessing the other due to the url change. This was the only way I knew to publicize what the issue could be. So, if you read my other blog and can't seem to access it for some reason, that is the reason. If you don't, just disregard this message.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, but poetry is personal and raw. Sure we can't see more of these "forbidden" words? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, my philosophy tends to think poetry is universal and transcendent...or should at least strive for that. Also, since it is an art, some polish and mastery should be involved. I don't know about some of my unpublished stuff. It may come out later...it just depends on what in my life changes and what remains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say poetry in itself is not universal or transendant. We'll never be in the same place, time or energy as the writer but I will agree certain emotions are and that we can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I did say it should strive for that...obviously some fall short of that mark, but that's what I usually try to do. [Heather's philosophy of poetry]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. And I removed my first comment because I actually thought you were someone else. SO sorry! Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  6. Love the title you've given this blog.
    I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I can post, I have to tell you- I LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks. It was one of my favorites, which is actually why it took so long to post. I believe I wrote it in late May of '11.

      Delete

Dialogue with me...