Friday, October 14, 2011

Birdman

I've been warned about men like you
The bird men
Born for flying on and flying away
To the next warm heart, when winter sets in
You've folded your wings incautiously
And I saw them, and we saw them
But I blinded myself
I thought I'd cage you with carefulness
Thought that our tears, more intimate than touch
Would clip your wings
And soft murmurings would forever cement your feathers
But the breeze came and the summer ended
And yet I hear your bird song
When the wind trends west
And the phantom wings you kissed to my back
Flutter in their nothingness

10 comments:

  1. Always a refreshing experience to read more of your words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ben: As always, you are too kind.

    @shosta: Thanks! I bet you have NO idea who this is about. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow … pow-wer-ful! I love, love the way you employ the imagery you do in your poems. I like, with this particular one, the way you maintain the subject and idea (of the bird) throughout the entire poem- and with intense, intense emotional fortitude. You’re truly a gifted writer, one of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @John W. May: Thank you so much! It means a lot to me to hear you say all that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw: I would love to read your article on Denise Levertov is you still have it ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll look for it. I HIGHLY doubt I still have it because I was silly and got rid of a bunch of stuff that I wish I hadn't. But I'll try and find it if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, issue resolved...I loved this poem by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to have you, Wander. Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Dialogue with me...