Friday, February 4, 2011

You Meant it for Evil; But God Meant it for Good

I’ve sold you so often
Again and Again I present your bloody clothes to the crowd
He is dead, I lie often to myself
I have these moments where I resent your control
I am jealous of your power
You’ve been wounded to save me
Just as the eleven brothers stupidly furthering
Their own humility
I have been furthering my own defeat
While you suffered like Joseph
For the preservation of your would-be murderer
I, am no better than these
But punishment is withheld
You give me grains of grace and life
Eternal
I fall humbled before your love


This was inspired by a John Piper sermon on the selling of Joseph by his brothers. It's in Piper's "Spectacular Sins" sermon series. Don't be put off by the name. It's great.

2 comments:

  1. Love the historical touch as a historian myself. Got a BA in December :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Congratulations! I finished mine two years ago I think.

    ReplyDelete

Dialogue with me...