Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tupac

So, apparently I can post other people's lyrics as long as I don't use the entirety of the song. I'm not really digging any of my stuff today (Read: I completely left my poetry notebook at home this morning), and there's just so much good Tupac out there. I'll probably post an excerpt from different people every once in a while. And I'd like it to be mainly rap lyrics, to show that some of them actually are poetry. I should also state now that I will be editing any inappropriate content. I'd like to keep my blog relatively family friendly.


Excerpt from Changes
I see no changes all I see is racist faces
misplaced hate makes disgrace to races
We under I wonder what it takes to make this
one better place, let's erase the wasted
Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right
'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight
and only time we chill is when we kill each other
it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other
And although it seems heaven sent
We ain't ready, to see a black President, uhh
It ain't a secret don't conceal the fact
the penitentiary's packed, and it's filled with blacks
But some things will never change
try to show another way but you stayin' in the dope game
Now tell me what's a mother to do
bein' real don't appeal to the brother in you
You gotta operate the easy way"I made a G today"
But you made it in a sleazy way
sellin' crack to the kid. " I gotta get paid,"
Well hey, well that's the way it is


I picked this one because it's one of my favorite Tupac songs. It's a little more redeeming and takes on bigger issues than some of his others. Plus, he uses Bruce Hornsby's "Changes" as the chorus and it is an interesting contrast with the melody of the song against Tupac's flow. Also, I like that a black president was mentioned. I'm sorry Tupac did not live to see this happen.

5 comments:

  1. i know absolutely nothing about rap,
    so this will be informative.
    i do so hate rhymes though..
    but i'll try to keep an open mind ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter: I do too...Although, as I've told you, there's always Biggie Smalls, and NAS, and Reflection Eternal, and Jay-Z, and...lol

    Superhero: Haha! Great! Glad to help inform. I usually don't adore rhyme (although some of my poetry shapes itself into a more structured form), but it's actually because when I see rhyme, I'll start rapping it in my head. You may want to check out Adam Bradley's "Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip Hop." He makes the case that poetry in rap form has continued in the public conscience for the very reason of its adherance to a strict rhyme. That poetry has lost its public appeal due to its increasingly esoteric nature (postmodern poetry, abstract poetry or blank verse being examples). So, I'm definitely not willing to close the door entirely on rhymes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oo we can only do song excerpts? Eep. Might be in trouble :(

    I have a lot of respect for Tupac though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben: I'm not really sure. It was something I read on like one website. Seeing that neither of us are "big time bloggers," you are probably fine.

    Yeah, I think even people who don't really care for rap, have lots of erspect for Tupac.

    ReplyDelete

Dialogue with me...